Thursday, March 1, 2018

Diet

           It is important to keep going to the gym at least 3-4 times per week but without the proper diet, you won't be able to achieve your goals. Everybody has different goals, but a lot of people are trying to lose weight or get ripped. You can workout every day but if you will keep eating fast food, you won't see great results. Losing fat without losing muscle (the key to getting ripped of course) is primarily a nutritional challenge. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. Fat can be very stubborn, so you really have to nail the target calories you are eating.

            How to eat during exercise?

    Two hours before, and an hour and a half after training, you shouldn't eat anything, just make sure you drink a lot of water! This will help your body spend energy from fat stores.
    Rules:
1. You should maintain a stable level of sugar, without jumping up and down, make sure you eat healthy food (5-7 small meals per day) to avoid feeling hunger.
2. Make sure you drink a lot of water ( I try to drink a gallon per day, even my height is 5.2 feet, and weight 114 pounds). Cold water is preferred because our body would need more energy to heat cold water to body temperature.
3. Learn how to count calories and gradually reduce their intake, but remember that cutting caloric intake from carbohydrates can ultimately lead to depletion of glycogen stores, which can cause burning of active muscle tissue. The increase in carbohydrates by 100-200 grams every week will help to have more glycogen reserves enough to avoid losing muscle mass.
4. The workout should have a lot of sets with a lot of repetitions. Twice more than you usually do.
5. The body will try to store energy in reserve, slowing down its metabolism. Moderate reduction in calories (a weekly decrease of 100-200 kcal), allows the body to slowly get used to the new diet.
6. Over time, all diets cause a slowdown in metabolism. When you "reach the point" and realize that the metabolism is slower, give yourself some good carbohydrates and fats for 1 to 2 days. This will help your body to start burning fat again.
7. Fats from most fish are able to stimulate the breakdown of subcutaneous fat. Therefore, you need to include fish in meals at least once a day.
8. The main goal of the diet, in addition to maintaining muscle mass, is the maximization of growth hormone (GH). It does not allow to burn muscles but stimulates the decomposition of subcutaneous fat. GH levels grow in the first 90 minutes after falling asleep, but the total amount of glucose (from digested carbohydrates) in the blood affects the release of growth hormone. A low level of glucose contributes to the maximum release of a growth hormone. Therefore, if you finish your in the evening (after 7 pm), and go to bed at 11 pm, then avoid taking carbohydrates 1-2 hours before bedtime.

     Remember, the most important thing is to not only lose fat but also to NOT lose muscle! That's why it is so important to workout more often.
These rules may help some people and may not help others. Everybody is different and you need to try to find what works best for you.

6 comments:

  1. Great info! It's always important to find a good balance with diet and exercise. Working out is a great way to build up muscle and get rid of fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vladislava,

    I also go to the gym at least 4 times a week, 5 if I get lucky :) As of now, I am in the last week of my bulking phase. I can relate to #5 because during my first two weeks, I had to also moderately increase my calorie intake to up to 100-200 kcal per week only. My trainer told me the same thing; I have to allow my body to get used to my new diet.

    I am so glad you chose working out as your topic to this site because there are still so much information out there that a lot of people do not know (including myself) that must be known about exercise to achieve their fitness goals. When I was just starting, I would spend so much time at the gym but won’t see any results. Overtime, I learned that 80% happens in the kitchen and 20% in the gym (approximates). I saw “gainz” only when I learned to be mindful of the foods I take in :)

    Thank you for sharing all these very interesting information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy learning about health and nutrition and I agree with you on learning how to count calories. I also go to the gym but not that often anymore due to school, though I still do my exercises at home. Great tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog site and posts are "music to my ears" because I studied Kinesiology in Graduate School25 years ago and focused on "Optimum Performance" in Olympic-level athlets and quite frankly, even as Science and Technology in crease our level of understanding of how the body adapts to exercise, your posts and dietary guidelines are still reflective of what we were studying and teaching 25 years ago (whew, that was a long sentence). Anyway, great job. I'll comment on some other blogs for awhile but rest assured I'll be reading yours weekly. Thanks! TD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post again this week. I studied Kinesiology 25 years ago in Grad school and your dietary recommendations agree with what we were teaching Olympic-level athletes back then. Time tested and proven, even with today's more technological and scientific methods of studying how the body adapts to exercise and reacts to dietary changes. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing great information. I didn't know we need fats from the fish. I think it will be good information for me to work out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete